OT: the rm bug hit me again

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Oct 27 19:45:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:41 +0100, Nigel Wade wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> >> How exactly did you do this? I got bit by this bug once in my Linux
> >> life, would prefer it never happens again.
> >>

> > alias rm='rm -i'
> >

> That's not a good idea as it teaches you to expect to be prompted, and you'll be
> bitten badly some time when the alias isn't present.

Strange that you feel this is wrong.

Fedora has from the beginning done exactly that for the root user, and
the reason is to help prevent those type human errors when you are root
and have the power of god to destroy your system.

For me, I never run as root unless absolutely necessary, and I always
preview my commands before I hit enter.

I personally like the prompt because it reminds me that I am running as
root.