Fonts do not look so nice as before F6

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Fri Oct 27 19:55:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 10:51 -0400, Deron Meranda wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> >         I thought that I saw somewhere that FC6 changed to DejaVu fonts or
> > something like that.  That's probably what you are seeing.
>
> Regarding the unpleasant kerning issues, it does seem to be a
> problem specifically with the DejaVu family of typefaces;
> although the Sans face is actually the worst offender.  In fact there
> is an obvious difference between DejaVu and Bitstream Vera
> in many of the kerning pairs (since DejaVu is a derivitave of
> Vera this is surprising).  The DejaVu kerning is really messed up,
> it doesn't look professional at all.  Isn't anybody else seeing this?

	The font looked terrible initially.  The 0's (zeroes) had an
off-centered dot in the middle.  The bold fonts in evolution's email
list looked too bold.  I recompiled freetype with the byte-code
interpreter and now everything looks wonderful (except for N's and W's
on linuxtoday.com).  The zeroes have a perfectly centered dot in them
now.

				...Jeff