FC5 and compiz

ethericalzen at gmail.com ethericalzen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 20:01:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:21:10 -0400
Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 10:39 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On 10/27/06, ethericalzen at gmail.com <ethericalzen at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:57:58 -0400
> > > Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and
> > > scribbled:

> > > Just out of curiosity. Are you trying to get AIGLX working
> > > along with compiz? That will not work without the 9626 nvidia
> > > driver. the 8xxx series doesn't have the GLX component to do
> > > the 3d stuff from AIGLX. If you're just installing compiz,
> > > well..yeah there's that then.
> >
> > See:
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77030
>
> Lonnie, been there.. first it starts off with assumptions that I
> have already done so and so and I'm not sure that I have. A step
> by step is really better, for idiots and dear ole Mum. <grins> My
> fear is that I'll do something half-baked and wind up with a
> locked machine or something equally dreadful.
>
> I have dnloaded the 9626 nvidea driver from nVidia. But with all
> of the caveats in the past against doing so, should I instead try
> livna and yum? I don't want to grab packages willy-nilly and jam
> them in with a shoehorn and curses. I have to live with this
> machine and I'd hate to be deprived of my one addiction. (OK,
> make it second addiction) I want the result of this major upgrade
> to be forever yum upgradable and "approved" meaning I can get
> some form of relief should it blowup anyway. And! ...shown how to
> do eet stepper by stepper, just like a harddrive thinks. Thanks
> for all the work over there at nVidia Lonnie!!! But, James made
> some very basic assumptions that this user would be where he is,
> technologically speaking, and that ain't the case. Ric

Step by step what I did. Be mindful of line breaks.

I downloaded the following rpms from livna.
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/testing/6/i386/xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.9626-2.lvn6.i386.rpm

and
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/testing/6/i386/kmod-nvidia-1.0.9626-1.2.6.18_1.2798.fc6.i686.rpm

Armed with these two rpms I went ahead and installed. After which I
did the following:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak
emacs /etc/X11/xorg.conf

add:
Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

to the "Device" section of your file.

add:
Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
EndSection
to the file. I placed the above section before the section
"InputDevice" But

add:
Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite"
EndSection

To the bottom of xorg.conf. If something breaks, you can telinit 3
and or boot to run level 3 and just copy xorg.conf-bak over
xorg.conf and your machine will work properly once again. I believe
the install of the nvidia driver edits your xorg.conf file anyway
to use the nvidia driver. So I suggest you make sure that you log
out and back in to ensure the nvidia module is working before your
start editing things and making back ups.

HTH

--
Alex White
ethericalzen at gmail.com