yum upgrade FC5->FC6 issues (Jim Cornette)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 27 21:00:31 UTC 2006

Leonid Flaks wrote:

> I think the reason for this problem with libsepol is the version number.
> FC5 has (after all updates) version 1.12.28-1.fc5. FC6 has version
> 1.12.27-1 both for libsepol and libsepol-devel. Here is my  situation. I
> was doing yum upgrade FC5->FC6.
> FC5 had libselinux-devel installed. New libselinux-devel requires
> lisepol-devel. The version of this package on FC6 requires in turn
> libsepol version 1.12.27-1, but I have libsepol 1.12.28-1.fc5 already
> and it was not going to be upgraded to a lower version number.

This makes sense to me. Also since I did not have any version of
libsepol-devel installed, removing only the database entry and
installing libsepol via yum afterwards did not show that error.

> So yum is confused and we have dependency issue. In my case I removed
> lidsepol package from FC5 with --nodeps option, copied the file
> /lib/libsepol.so.1 back from another system and then did yum upgrade.

Removing only the db entry with --justdb and --nodeps would have saved
you the problem with copying from another system. Your packages should
still be there until the "re-install" and continued upgrade.

> It would have been easier to just save a copy of the file somewhere on the
> system, but it was too late at that point. Looks like the version of
> libsepol and libsepol-devel should be changed to something higher
> then version on FC5 to avoid this confusion.

I agree that the version number in FC6 should be newer than the latest
in FC5. At least three of us know that now.

> Did anyone checked bugzilla on that? Searching for fc - version6 -
> libsepol turned  nothing.

Nope! Just worked around the problem, then moved on. Since FC5 to FC6
upgrades via yum are not supported, we would not have much weight.

I am going to do an anaconda upgrade from FC5 updated to the latest
versions to FC6 and see what happens. If the newer version in FC5 but
older version in FC6 causes problems, I will file a bug report then.

> Hope that note will help somebody.

Thanks! It helps me understand the problem somewhat better. It is
helpful that you noticed the version conflict.

Jim

--
It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
		-- Alfred Adler