FC5 and compiz

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 22:02:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:26 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> If you're not clear on the instructions in that nvnews post, then you
> should ask on nvnews where the nvidia+compiz experts hang out.
>
> > I have dnloaded the 9626 nvidea driver from nVidia. But with all of the
> > caveats in the past against doing so, should I instead try livna and
> > yum? I don't want to grab packages willy-nilly and jam them in with a
>
> I don't, but that's just me.

Right, but I ain't you nor do I begin to have your level of expertise.
So, every time in the past when someone posts on this list that they
used nVidea's drivers, instead of the livna ones, they get rained down
on verbally, with much vigor. I want to beat this horse only once and
then have updates appear auto-magically whenever the brainiacs extrude
the update. I only have a chicken foot on this end to wave at it and
it's becoming very old and tired like me, from over use.

> > shoehorn and curses. I have to live with this machine and I'd hate to be
> > deprived of my one addiction. (OK, make it second addiction) I want the
> > result of this major upgrade to be forever yum upgradable and "approved"
> > meaning I can get some form of relief should it blowup anyway.
> > And! ...shown how to do eet stepper by stepper, just like a harddrive
> > thinks. Thanks for all the work over there at nVidia Lonnie!!! But,
> > James made some very basic assumptions that this user would be where he
> > is, technologically speaking, and that ain't the case. Ric
>
> What isn't the case?
XOrg 7.1 or later
Well, it says make sure you have the latest X0rg. Like the cockroach man
from "The Men In Black" crashing around going "Where is it!? Where - is
- it?!" rpm -q xorg or Xorg or XOrg jeesus. I fergit! Nice docs would
say -check using rpm -q Xorg-blahblah  nice step by step for the
braindead or Good Ole Mum. I'd like to have this pain over in 10 minutes
or less.

NVIDIA graphics drivers >= 1.0-9625
>From where?? link to driver that is yum supported or link to one that is
not. check this, check that. Use this one at your own risk, that kinda
thing. I beleive and trust in you and nVidea explicitly. It seems the
Fedora / RH stance is to trust only livna-brand rpms. What the fizeck do
I or the average user know? I've never figured that one out, as you love
what you do and it's not about the Ka-ching!

I have always imagined your setup to include many terminals to telnet
into with, oscilloscopes, racks of CD's and Dvd's, Leyden Jars, dwarvish
assistants running hither and yon, logic and flow charts sealed with
mystical wax impressions runes made by lawyers wearing soft Italian
loafers, a pointy hat to peek out from under and a Rooster Foot, from
the very dangerous creature that won it's share of peck-off-steel-cage
matches before an untimely death. Me? My pencil has no point and the
eraser long worn down. So, sure you can do things I wouldn't dream of.
<chuckles>

I've read a lot of posts that suggest one thing or another. Click this
and you're back to normal. I like that! It was noted for FC6 and I'm
just plainly clueless and not sure that it would apply for FC5. Am I
willing to risk a "little bit for added features? Sure... I just want to
minimize the dangers by either being informed or led by someone who can
relate how to do this, one step at a time. Just like good ole Stanton
does, with a boat load of Patience for the Great Unwashed.

Empathy. Have your guy hit himself upside his own head with a baseball
bat and have a few stiff drinks. THEN write a howto for Mr. Average Joe
Lunchbucket, after he gets roaring ignorant and disoriented, full of
Fear and Loathing in Llama Land. <cackles> If you still don't get me,
then hit yourself upside the head with a baseball bat, have a couple of
stiff ones and lead your now properly stupefied assistant into the
Promised Land full of Milk, Honey and truly great HowTo's written for
Ole Mum and the Ole Wayward4now's out there in the gentle readers land.
I'm just dumb enough to step up to the plate and say I'm not in complete
understandings, is all. <grinning hugely, don't need the drinks to get
here> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net