Weird compiz problem with nvidia twinview

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sat Oct 28 04:46:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 00:05 -0400, Frank Pineau wrote:
> Ok, so I finally got compiz working on FC6 with my nvidia twinview setup
> (single card, dual-head).

You must be running 9625.  That is a beta driver.

> Here's the weird thing:
>
> Without effects enabled, each monitor acts like a separate desktop
> segment. I can maximize a window and it will only maximize to that
> monitor.  The top and bottom bars span only my left screen.  My right
> screen is "extra space".

That is the way mine is running too.  I think that is the desired effect
and that is set in KDE, not nvida.  The driver just provides the desktop
space and KDE controls how it is used.  I believe it can be changed.

> With effects enabled, both monitors together act as a single segment, so
> maximized windows span both screens.  This is obviously not desirable.
> Any idea why this happens, or more to the point, how to fix it?

What is going on in the Nvidia X Server Settings app ?  What is in your
xorg.conf file ? What changes when you run Configure Desktop ?

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.