Java with Konqueror on FC2

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Oct 28 16:40:50 UTC 2006

I have jre-1.5.0.6 installed. The .bin version. Using Firefox I have no
problem with applets using the java plugin, but Konqueror doesn't use the
plugin so I have to set the Java path to, in my case.
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java

I tried this site, which someone on the KDE list was having a problem with.
http://www.itautrade.com.br

This works fine on Firefox, and Opera, but not with Konqueror. On the right of
the main page is a box named monitor. The ticker at the bottom of the box
works ok, but the main applet lunches out with some Portuguese words meaning
"system failure", and the Java console shows this.

28/10/06 18:22:29 [HPGR3] init
28/10/06 18:22:29 [HPTI3] init
28/10/06 18:22:36 [HPTI3] start
Refresh :
https://ww51.itau.com.br/pegabds/Ticker.asp?Titulo=null&Arquivo=tickerdiferido.dat&NomeAtivo=1
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
 at HP3.HPTI3.update(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.RepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.X11.XRepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.X11.XComponentPeer.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
28/10/06 18:22:37 [HPTI3] run
run falha: false java.lang.NullPointerException
28/10/06 18:22:40 [HPGR3] run finalizado

Today, as I'm about to update the Smootwall, and looking through the various
stuff on the web interface, I saw there was a shell connection using SSH, and
uses a Java applet. Going for this I tried it on Konqueror. It got as far as
the Java plugin worked fine and the applet loaded. The output from the
Javaconsole for the failed Konqueror trial is below. Konqueror says "loading
applet", then the output to the Javaconsole, then Konqueror says "applet
failed"

Error during state 1
Backtrace:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Class: de.mud.jta.Applet
 at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.findClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:238)
 at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.loadClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:248)
 at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$RunThread.doState(KJASAppletStub.java:165)
 at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$RunThread.run(KJASAppletStub.java:252)

I'm not up to speed with Java, but does anyone know what this output is
saying, and what might be a possible fix to get these applets to load on
Konqueror?

I do also have FC1,3,4, and 5 installed, but it would be nice to get a bit of
feedback before I go installing the JRE on FC5 for instance.

Nigel.