Dual booting fc5 & fc6

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 20:03:32 UTC 2006

Many thanks to Jim, Robert and Nigel. When I installed fc6 I got
/1/boot/....I thought my selection at that point would auto-magically
put fc6 in my selections at boot time. It seemed to go just like that
when I dual booted RH8 and NT, but I guess much has changed since
then. I intended to eliminate the last fc5 under the "chainload + 1"
but you guys are a bit over my head here and I had no idea you could
install grub more than once...not that I want to yet. /dev/hda1 is
where I have fc5, /dev/hda2 is a swap, /dev/hda3 is where fc6 is and
has no mount point according to the LVM, /dev/hda4 is an extended
partition ? I did not ask for that(110G), then /dev/hda5 is swap, then
it says I have 110G of unpartitioned and uninitialized space on hda. I
thought the partitioning possibilities were a bit confusing; but then,
I find many things confusing. Below is my fc5 grub config. I know you
guys are busy and don't always have time to hold someone's hand, but I
really appreciate your help.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.img
title Fedora 6
root (hd0,2) /1/boot/grub/grub.conf
chainloader + 1
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img

George hare