FC6 NFS won't mount as regular user, nor automatically in fstab

Whil Hentzen linuxnews at hentzenwerke.com
Sat Oct 28 21:28:25 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

Long time FC fan, first time caller....

Well, I sure do like this new FC6 - got it on two disparate boxes and
the burps so far have been trivial. I'm on the last leg - getting my
client box to connect to a RH9 file server that's been here for eons,
and that a buncho Linux boxen (SuSE 9, SuSE 10, Mandrake 10, FCn:n=1-5)
have been attaching to with nary a problem for years, via smb.

But I thought I'd get wit' da program and use NFS for this FC6 client
connecting to the server. I'm getting close but no cigar.

1. My server RH9) has a dir, /home/users/wh
2. My client (FC6) has a dir, /home/wh/serverhome
3. On the client, I can mount manually, as ROOT. This works fine:

root> mount-t nfs 192.168.1.12:/home/users/wh /home/wh/serverhome

So NFS is running on the server and the server's exports file is set up
properly.

4. BUT... I haven't been successful at running this as a regular user.
When I run the very same mount command as me, I get 'Only root can do that.'

5. Nor can I get this to run in fstab. Here's what happens:

- fstab entry:

192.168.1.12:/home/users/wh  /home/wh/serverhome  nfs
user,username=wh,password=secret,uid=wh,gid=wh 0 0

- When I boot, the remote share icon displays on the desktop, but it is
not mounted automatically. Additionally, right-clicking and selecting
"Mount" generates an error dialog (empty, wouldn't ya know it...)

So maybe this is an NFS problem (or a PEBCAK problem, more likely), but
all the stuff I've done with SMB in the past isn't helping me with NFS.

Ideas? Help?

Whil