Fedora Core 6 ROCKS ! Salute to the developers !

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sat Oct 28 23:51:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 16:28 -0600, Myles Green wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:08:03 -0600
> Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:
>
> > I love how pressing both mouse buttons
> > goes from desktop to desktop.
>
> Huh? That doesn't happen here... using either that or the mouse wheel
> to switch desktops (anywhere on the desktop, not just over the pager)
> would be oh so sweet... just like in Xfce :)

Wow, I thought I was blabbing too much.  Makes me wonder what *I* don't
know about Linux functionality too.

I'm running KDE.  I don't have any desktop icons in my taskbar.
Pressing both the right and left mouse buttons brings up a menu with
Unclutter Windows, Cascade Windows, Desktop1, <list of Desktop1 apps>,
Desktop2, <list of Desktop2 apps>, etc.

So I'm always running multiple desktops.   General apps on one desktop,
work specific on another, etc.  One two button mouse press and I jump to
the other desktop.  It keeps me nice and organized and I'm not always
opening and shutting down apps.

I don't see where to enable the two button desktop list functionality.
In "configure-kdesktop" (right click on desktop, configure...) I see
"Mouse wheel over desktop background switches desktop" as an option.  I
have that disabled.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

I am also running dual widescreen monitors.  Between the dual monitors
and the multiple desktops, I'm using tons of desktop area.  Its great !
Maybe my need for desktop area has something to do with the fact that I
started programming on a Mac Plus, with a 9 inch monitor, B&W
nonetheless.  And it only ran 1 application reliably.  The task switcher
in Mac OS 6.x was prone to crash, especially if one had a pointer bug in
their C code !  My how things have changed !

I have to say that I am much more productive with Linux than Windows.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.