any reason to use Sun's Java?

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sun Oct 29 19:40:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 20:02 +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Globe Trotter < hidden > wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was planning on, switching completely to the opensource java that comes with
> > FC6. Is there anything that I will be missing?
> >
> > My status wrt java is that i am an end-user. I don't develop java applications.
> > I do run whatever someone else makes up....
> >
> > Any suggestions?

I develop in Java and I have Sun's jre 1.5 installed on my Linux
workstation.  I know that RH's Java is supposed to be identical
functionally, but it wasn't the last time I tried it, at least with the
Eclipse application.

When I develop Java stuff, I test with jre1.5, not the RH version.
Nothing against the RH version and I applaud their efforts, but the
standard is the sun version because that is what people on Windows
computers will run.  The RH JRE might work fine, but then again a subtle
difference may cause issues.

You might also be interested to know that Sun has announced that they
will be open sourcing their Java in the near future.  I think that will
pretty much seal the deal that Sun's JRE will be the industry
standard.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.