fedora-list Digest, Vol 32, Issue 233

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 03:18:39 UTC 2006

> On Sunday 29 October 2006 21:57, George Hare wrote:
> > I spoke much too hastily. He whom the gods would destroy, they first make
> > proud. I can still access each but it requires booting from a cd if I want
> > to change. I think that there might be some mixing of file systems as well,
> > don't ask me how. Matter of fact don't ask me anything, I'll ruin your box.
> >
> > George Hare
>
> Hi George. Fun isn't it. When you bootup, and get the GRUB menu, which FC is
> it booting? FC5, or FC6. this will tell you whether it's FC5's, or FC6's
> GRUB.
>
> Nigel.

Well, I am inserting the install cd's and it very quickly gets to the
part where you install the image, but it realizes that everything is
already there and kindly asks me if I would like to add any OS's to
the boot loader, so I add the one that is not there. If I select the
added OS, it gives me GRUB. If I choose the one it put there, that is
the OS I get. It's like the long version of a boot disk :=[  The
strange thing is the mixing of the file system. On the desktop icon
for computer, network, file system....when I am in fc5 and click on
the file system icon, I get just what you expect, bin, boot, etc...but
the strange thing is the very 1st folder is named "1". When I click on
1, I get another set of folders bin, boot, etc... but dev is empty and
bin is full, but all the folders are different from any folder I've
ever seen before---they are blue diamonds...no, I have not smoked
anything. Then my xmms was already setup and I could load all my tunes
from my other file system. Xine worked as always in fc5, but in fc6
video was fine but no sound, I have onboard sound and I put a sound
blaster in it as well. I did quite a bit of knuckle scraping with this
until I found the new sound default system. I didn't have to set it
for xmms, but I did for xine? I am going to be semi-content for awhile
going back and forth, but I'm going to find some reading on Grub and
install 20 distro's just for spite.

George

> From: "grumpypenguin"
> Don't worry about it I Fubar mine all the time ;-(

This was only the first battle; the war is far from over.

George