What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 30 09:25:11 UTC 2006

Chris Jones wrote:

>> Is there more than one way to skin that cat? Sure.
>> Some are simple and others are needlessly complex.

Right.

> Also, to do things this (tedious) way, you need some other OS to boot from in
> order to mount / whilst you wipe from it the things you want to...

Booting off the original install media in Fedora, with "linux rescue",
will allow you to do this without "some other OS", so that's not an issue.

> Its so much easier to just stick /home on a seperate partition, I really don't
> understand those who recommend this way, but each to their own I guess...

Not having a separate /home partition has the advantage that on a single
storage device, the allocation of storage is automatically optimal
between any directories that need it.  Need to store big video files in
/home all of a sudden?  All you have to worry about is if you have
enough global disc space.  Dealing with changing partition and
filesystem sizes because you guessed wrong what size you needed for what
directory is in no way "much easier" than just saving the file.  But as
you say, each to their own.

-Andy