OT: the rm bug hit me again

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Oct 30 09:52:12 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:41 +0100, Nigel Wade wrote:
>> Mike McCarty wrote:

>>> alias rm='rm -i'
>>>
>> That's not a good idea as it teaches you to expect to be prompted, and you'll be
>> bitten badly some time when the alias isn't present.
>>
> Strange that you feel this is wrong.

I just think it's dangerous to become reliant on that non-standard behaviour of
a potentially very dangerous command. If you expect the prompt when you wildcard
rm, then you'll suffer when it isn't there. At first it might start out as a
useful safeguard, but over time you will become subconsciously trained to expect
it. You get used to typing 'rm *' and answering 'y' to those files you want to
be deleted, until you do that on a system where the alias isn't present, or you
are logged on as a user who doesn't have the alias.

> Fedora has from the beginning done exactly that for the root user, and
> the reason is to help prevent those type human errors when you are root
> and have the power of god to destroy your system.

I don't only use Linux/Fedora... Getting used to a "feature" of one system, and
then expecting it on another, is a route to disaster with a command like rm.

> For me, I never run as root unless absolutely necessary, and I always
> preview my commands before I hit enter.

It's not a root issue, it's a global issue. Any user can delete files by mistake
if they expect to be prompted when they wildcard rm.

> I personally like the prompt because it reminds me that I am running as
> root.

That's the worst of all positions to have the alias. A user who expects rm to
prompt will only delete their own files if it doesn't, a root user who expects
rm to prompt can delete the entire system if it doesn't. I would never, ever,
want to rely on non-standard behaviour of such a dangerous command. What will
you do if your root .bash_profile, or whatever script sets the alias for root,
gets deleted, modified or in some other way not executed? Or if you administer a
system which isn't running Fedora?

It's better to train yourself to review any rm command with a wildcard in it,
than it is to get used to being prompted by rm.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555