FC6

Fong Vang sudoyang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 19:38:22 UTC 2006

I've been using Xen on FC4 and FC5 (and CentOS).  I'm trying to
ugprade to FC6.  However, I'm having problem getting a CentOS domU to
boot.  The guest is complaing that it can't mount the root file
system.

This is my xen cfg file:

----
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen"
memory = 1536
name = 'dsv'
vcpus = 2
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [  'phy:xenvg/dsvdb2,sda1,w', 'phy:xenvg/dsvroot,sda2,w',
'phy:xenvg/dsvswap,sda3,w', 'phy:xenvg/dsvusr,sda4,w',
'phy:xenvg/dsvvar,sda5,w' ]
root = '/dev/sda2 ro'
extra = "3"
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
on_reboot = 'restart'
----

On bootup, this is the error:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

Nothing gets written to the xen log files.  I tried with and without an ramdisk.

I read on the net that dom0 and domU can use the same kernel.  Is this
not true.  I don't see a kernel-xenU kernel so this must be true.

What am I missing?

Thanks for help any.