XDMCP Client which runs under the desktop?

Gabriel M. Elder eldergabriel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 30 23:22:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:32 -0700, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> I have been looking around without much luck for
> an XDMCP client which can run as a window under another
> X server.
>
> As an example of what I am looking for, consider the Windows
> program Exceed, by Hummingbird.  I can bring up an Exceed
> X server sesson and tell it to act as an XDMCP client.  I can
> then point it at a Fedora (or other Unix) server with XDMCP
> turned on and can get a window with the desktop from the
> Fedora server.  I can have serveral of these windows available
> at one time.
>
> I suppose you could say I am running an X server using a window
> as the display screen.
>
> Has anyone seen software which supports this functionality on Fedora?
> An RPM is of course preferable, but compile and install is OK too.
>
> Bob Styma

Sure thing. What you're looking for is called Xnest. It's both an X
server and a client that can run and display in your current X/GUI
session. I believe it accepts some of the standard X command-line
arguments, i.e. -geometry, -depth, -query, :N (where N is the display
number you want it to use).

The package/version of this that i've got installed is
xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.0.1-9.fc5.5, which is available at

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.0.1-8.i386.rpm for fc5 and at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.1.1-47.fc6.i386.rpm
for fc6.

You can use your favorite package manager GUI, or from a command-line:
yum -y xorg-x11-server-Xnest -or- rpm -ihv url_to_packagename.rpm

Note that it is not in the extras repository; it is one of the core
packages.

You sound like you know what you're doing, anyway; the man pages are
pretty helpful.

Hope this helps. Holler if ???s.
- gabriel