Mounting Combo drive

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Oct 31 02:14:30 UTC 2006

Subrata Banerjee wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a new user of FC5.
> The problem i am facing is
> the FC5 does not recognise
> my combo drive.
> I tried 'mount /mnt/cdrom'
> but of no result.
> I will be obliged if
> anybody can help me
> to sort out the problem.
> Thanks.
> Subrata.

The mounting directory for devices has changed to /media vs. the old
standard of /mnt. Also, a lot of media is not mounted by the label that
the media inside the device contains. Sy you have a DVD labeled. "My
Favorite DVD", the mountpoint would /media plus the disc label.

Check the entries in /media to see if your device is listed within that
directory. Sometimes the DVD or whatever gets labeled as a disk, thus
/media/disk would be your mountpoint.

I think remembering /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/dvd would be more rational, but
things change.

Jim

--
Laugh, and the world ignores you.  Crying doesn't help either.