Re: OT: a problem about text manipulation

At 10:25 31/10/2006, you wrote:

Dear All

I have a text file with more than 300000 of lines like the following:

1       E       E       E
2       C       D
3       B       E       D
4       C       E       D
5               D       E

I am looking for an automatic way of transforming my text file into
another one with the format

1       E
1       E
1       E
2       C
2       C
3       B
3       B
3       D
4       C
4       C
4       D
5       E

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I am guessing that the transformation should have been
1 E
1 E
1 E
2 C
2 D
3 B
3 E
3 D
4 C
4 E
4 D
5 D
5 E
????

I'm not that great at scripting which somebody else will no doubt suggest, so personally I'd write a little C/C++ application to do it. I've got a string parsing function that I wrote to split a string into white space delimited fields and return a count of the number of fields, which would be a good starting point for this.

Dave F