Re: building from source for dummies?

Tom Horsley wrote:
What exactly do you need to know? Are you looking for how to install patches? Or just build the source RPM?

I figure the first step is just getting the source rpm built so I can verify I can
build a radeon module that is equally broken as the one that comes with FC6
(broken for my monitor, that is).

Set up an RPM build environment:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/CreateRPMBuildEnvironment

Once that's done, you should be able to do:
$ rpmbuild --rebuild /path/to/some.src.rpm

(provided you have all of the required build dependencies installed, but rpmbuild will let you know if you haven't)

Paul.