Caching updates locally

Mark Heslep mark at mitre.org
Tue Oct 31 20:32:59 UTC 2006

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:54:00AM -0500, Joe Tseng wrote:
>
>> I want to be able to cache yum updates locally so when I build machines via
>> kickstart I can have them update more quickly from a local server.  I can't
>> seem to recall how to do this using wget, and googling hasn't turned
>> anything up yet.
>>

> Set up squid and add
> proxy=http://your.squid.box:3128/
> to your /etc/yum.conf on all hosts?  Also, tweak /etc/yum.repos.d/ so that
> you don't use mirrorlist, but one particular mirror.
>
> 	Jakub

The original poster said during 'build' with kickstart and that is a
problem. The installer has a brand new step to allow additional repo.
specification during the install. (Extras configured by default in this
way). In kickstart the keyword for specifying the additional repository
is 'repo --name=xx ...' However, if you are behind a network proxy, and
Im guessing most people that build muitiple machines from kickstart are,
there's another problem as currently there is no direct way to set a
proxy during the install. Also note that when using kickstart, AFAICT
the FC6 Extras built-in repo stays on by default trying to access the
web directly, hanging the install.

I'm using squid as an accelerator to try and work around this.

Mark