Installing FC3 with the speakup kernel (was Help!!! Help!!!!)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Sep 1 02:18:17 UTC 2006

Guy Schlosser wrote:
> Hey guys, I have a question for anyone who can answer it.  I have been
> trying to install Fedora Core 3 for two days now, and am totally confused.
> The reason I'm using 3 is because it's currently thee latest version that
> has the Speakup modified kernel for a talking install.  I'm really hoping
> there is one when fedora core 6 comes out.  What is happening, is that the
> installation seems to lock up at the disk testing screen.  I will try to
> tab/alt+tab between OK and Skip, and get no where.  I had some sighted
> assistance for a while yesterday, and found out that the problem occurs
> whether speakup is loaded or not.  When speakup is loaded, it sends my
> synthesizer (whether dec-talk express or Braille note) into space, and will
> never quit talking until it reaches the OK or skip buttons for the disk
> test.  Any one have any ideas?  I would greatly appreciate any help I can
> get with this matter.  Here is my system config.
> Processor: Pentium IV 2.8 GHZ Hyperthread on an Abit ai7 main board
> 1 GB RAM
> AC97 based sound
> Seagate 40 GB IDE hard drive
> NVidia Geforce 4 video card.
>   Again, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Guy

There are some list members that are familiar with speakup and other
non-visual aids used to install a system. Janina is a person that I
recall. There is also a William if I remember the name correctly.

I don't recall the details. I believe that FC3 had a problem related to
a problem with telnet that caused problems.

Also there is a list where you can get some help with audio interface
and braille reader problems. It is the below link.