BIOS and GRUB haywire

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 20:43:05 UTC 2006

[...]

Heh.  You said it much better than I did :)

> You could try:
>
> Change out the video card (if there is one).
>
> Change the CMOS battery (should reset CMOS if corrupted and better
> it's chances of not being corrupted).

Already tried that :(

> You could try the remove - test - replace - test RAM as suggested by
> Chris and even research your BIOS (look on the MB for a BIOS tagged
> chip) to know the sequence of audio beeps it should present if memory
> is removed.

Ah, good.

> If all above tests fail then you probably have a bad Mother Board or
> Power Supply.  Probably the Mother Board.  If it is an old box, try a
> used computer store (know your HW to find compatible MB).  Or maybe it
> is time to upgrade.
[...]
Now, the lights for the CD-ROM and CD-RW drive flicker, seems to be a
loop in which one is accessed, then the other, then back and forth.
However, putting a bootable floppy in there still doesn't bring up
anything (as there's no POST, presumably).

The only used componets are one of the RAM DIMM's, the slave hard
drive, the CD-RW drive.  Even the case is new, FWIW.

-Thufir