Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 1 21:13:34 UTC 2006

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> Just quoting the salient points:

>> Tim:

>> Aaron Konstam:
>>
>>> Thhis used to be the wqay to do it in the RedHat Linux days. But for a
>>> long time under Fedora grub does the job without any extra effort.
>>>

>> Ordinarily, I'd use GRUB to handle booting, too.  But the original
>> poster mentioned not having any Windows install discs.  It seems prudent
>> to avoid altering the Windows installation in that situation.
>> Especially if one isn't familiar with fixing things up, after a problem,
>> the hard way.
>>
> Prudent or not, the installation is now running with Grub and boot on
> the mbr.
>
> If I break something I'll have to fix it somehow?
>
> So far things have gone smoothly, there was physical space for the drive
> and I was able to set bios to recognize the new second drive.  Hopefully
> the rest will go as uneventfully ...
>
> Bob Goodwin
I have installed fc5 from the dvd twice now to be certain I've done
things correctly.  I believe I have.

The fc5 install is on the second drive, /dev/sdb.  XP is factory [Dell]
installed and I have no install disk.  XP is of little importance to me
but I would like to retain it is possible.  Both drives are 80G.

It should boot Linux from the mbr, /dev/sda on which XP resides,  grub
is installed with FC5 designated as the default, but I never see a grub
display at turn on, it simply boots XP right off without offering any
alternative.

What am I doing wrong?

BobG