Procedure to replace a NIC.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Sep 2 00:51:13 UTC 2006

Steven Stromer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wannt to remove the 10/100 NICs from my FC5 servers and replace with
> Gigabit NICs. I've never had to uninstall a NIC from a linux machine. Is
> there anything I should do before pulling one card and installing
> another? Also, anything that I will have to do to get the machine to
> realize the gigabit potential of the new card?
>
> Thanks!

You may want to remove the alias in /etc/modprobe.conf for the NIC.
This usually isn't necessary, but it does not hurt ether. If you
have disabled kudzu from running at boot, you will have to run it
manually. (There is also a GUI command that will check your
hardware, but I don't remember the menu command right now.)

Mikkel