Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Sep 2 01:06:09 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 19:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> grub should be installed in the MBR of the first SCSI disk (aka
>>> /dev/sda).  That can be done by getting in to Linux and doing
>>> "grub-install /dev/sda" as the root user.
>>>
>>> We need to know how you laid out the Linux stuff.  Is it all in one
>>> partition or did you divvy it up?  Assuming you put it in separate
>>> partitions, with /boot as partition 0 and / as partition 1,
>>> this /boot/grub/grub.conf should work:
>>>
>>> #boot=/dev/sda
>>> default=0
>>> timeout=5
>>> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>> hiddenmenu
>>> title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
>>>         root (hd1,1)
>>>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>>> quiet max_luns=256
>>>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
>>> title Windows XP
>>> 	root (hd0,0)
>>> 	makeactive
>>> 	chainloader +1
>>>
>>> If Linux is all on a single partition, change the references above
>>> that say "(hd1,1)" to "(hd1,0)"

>>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>> -                                                                    -
>>> - Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -
>>>

>> XP is installed on the original 80G h.d., untouched, still as Dell
>> set it up.
>>
>> I installed a second 80G SATA drive and installed FC5 to that with
>> the DVD, all pretty much as Fedora intended except where I told it to
>> use the mbr and default to FC5 Linux.
>>
>> Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:
>>
>> sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> default=0
>> timeout=5
>> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> hiddenmenu
>> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
>>        root (hd1,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
>> title Windows XP
>>        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>>        chainloader +1
>>
>> [I typed this manually but it looks identical to the display
>> on the Dell display.]
>>
>> It looks to me like Dell has somehow set aside about 3 gigs of
>> the 80 apparently to provide a means of reinstalling Windows?
>> I don't know it that has any effect on this problem?
>>

> If you are CERTAIN you did a "grub-install /dev/sda", then it may be
> that the BIOS virus checker keeps overwriting grub with the Winblows
> boot loader (it considers grub to be a virus).  You'll need to disable
> that in the BIOS.

I can't find anything that resembles a "BIOS virus checker" in
the system setup screens.

I'm beginning to think I'll pull the plug on the Windows drive and
just put it back when I want to boot Windows!  Whatever, I've spent
too much time with this today.  Tomorrow ...

Thanks for your help.

Bob Goodwin