Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 2 13:58:47 UTC 2006

Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:
>>>
>>> sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>>
>>> #boot=/dev/sda
>>> default=0
>>> timeout=5
>>> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>> hiddenmenu
>>> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
>>>        root (hd1,0)
>>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
>>> title Windows XP
>>>        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>>>        chainloader +1
>>>

>> I would try saying "grub-install --recheck /dev/sda".
>>

> sh-3.1# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/sda
> (hd1)   /dev/sdb
>
> Actually there's no floppy drive installed in the Dell.
>
> It also tells me if any of the above is incorrect, fix it, and re-run
> grub-install.
> Looks ok to me?  I suppose I might try swapping sda and sdb as was also
> suggested, if that works it would be easier than opening the box and
> swapping cables, etc.

So it seems that the grub loader has been installed on the MBR of /dev/sda .
Is this actually what you think of as sda?
(fdisk -l /dev/sda should tell you.)
Do you get a grub prompt when you re-boot?
Is the boot order in the BIOS what you would expect, or want?

You could try using fdisk to change the active partition,
though I can't see why that should have any effect.

[I don't claim to be a grub expert;
and also I have not read all the thread,
so I may be off-beam.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366