Procedure to replace a NIC.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 2 19:14:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 19:58, Steven Stromer wrote:
> >> Your only responsibility is to verify that your new card is actually
> >> supported under Linux, and specifically by the Fedora kernel.
> >>
> >> As long as the new card's drivers are in the Fedora kernel, you're all
> >> set.
> >
> > This will get the NIC working 9 times out of 10 all right.
>
> Call me the 1 out of 10 guy. I removed the eth0 alias in modprobe.conf,
> shut down the first machine, replaced the NIC and rebooted.
>
> dmesg shows:
> eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8169s/8110s'.
> eth0:RTL8169 at 0xe88e8000, 00:40:f4:ee:2f:ff, IRQ 11
>
> So, I understand the TrendNet TEG-PCITXR Ggigabit PCI card that I've
> installed has a RealTek 8169 chipset.
>
> modprobe.conf has a new line:
> alias eth0 r8169
>
> This all looks good. Further, the following directories exist:
> /sys/module/r8169
> /sys/bus/pci/drivers/r8169
>
> I don't know this for fact, but I'd think this all indicates that the
> chipset is recognized by the kernel (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5). I am not
> certain of how to better confirm this.
>
> Yet, no network connection. So, I edit
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and update the hardware
> address, which is still listed as the old card's address, and then
> restart the network.
>
> I can locally ping the card on both its static public address and its
> loopback, but cannot reach anything else.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks for all the responses, so far!

Steven, I don't know whether this has any relevance or not, but I recently
changed a NIC in a FC4 box, and initially had a problem.  It seems that it
had detected the card correctly, and was loading the driver, but it had
remembered the MAC address of the old card.  I had to remove the card's entry
in system-config-network, then run kudzu to get the new card read in again.
Since then I have had no problem.

Anne