What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Sun Sep 3 15:39:45 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 16:25, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> Look at the '-x' option for rsync. Run seperate rsyncs for any additional
> mounted partitions that you *do* want to backup. In a default FC5 install
> that should not be very much.

On the subject of backups, here's something I find curious. The following
script:-

#! /bin/bash

rsync -av /etc /home/copyofslashetc

tar cvfz /root/home`date +%Y%m%d%k%M`.tar.gz /home/*
#tar cvfz /root/etc`date +%Y%m%d%k%M`.tar.gz /etc/*
tar cvfz /root/var_spool_mail`date +%Y%m%d%k%M`.tar.gz /var/spool/mail/*

works fine.

The rsync line is in there because the commented out tar of /etc appears to
run OK, but when I attempt to unpack the /etc archive it errors. Any idea
why?

Dave F

--
Registered Linux user number 393408