Comments on FC5 installs "hanging"

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Sep 3 19:39:54 UTC 2006

I have seen some comments about people complaining about FC5 installs
hanging on boot.  I have not paid attention to it because I had other
worries.

Then I upgraded my home machine.

Booted the disc.  It goes to the prompt and "hangs".

But it is not a hang.  Took me about 30 seconds to realize that for some
reason the system was not seeing the USB keyboard.  Once I put a ps/2
keyboard on the machine, everything worked fine.

The motherboard is an Intel P4 3ghz hyperthread.  (Actually made by
Intel.) I don't have the model number at the moment.  (It would require
opening it up.)  82875P is the chipset. Might be a clue.  I can get more
details if anyone wants to track it down.  (Answer off line as I get
drowned out by list mail and the filters hide a lot of it.)

When I can reboot and get into the BIOS, I will try to find out more. (I
have 2.4 gigs of updates to go!)

What is weird is that the BIOS reports "legacy keyboard" even if I have a
PS/2 keyboard plugged in.  (And it works with the bios screen, so it knows
how to use it until it hits grub.)

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink