What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Sep 4 00:07:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 13:13 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>

>> In the future, global server files will go in /srv.  So /var/www will
>> become /srv/www, etc.  /var will be reserved for files that need to be
>> writable by the running system--locks, pid files, spools, etc.
>
> As I was away for awhile, I was surprised to find apache html stuff
> under /var/www instead of /home/httpd/html
> /srv makes a lot more sense, keeping public html and cgi-bin files away
> from the logs and lockfiles. Should we start re-locating now? Ric

This change is part of the Linux File System Hierarchy Standard
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/.

In general, it couldn't hurt, but relocating is complicated a bit by
SELinux.  (It's not that hard to fix, but you need to have a recipe or
know a little bit about what you are doing.  I'm not much help in this
case.)

The change is supposed to be imminent.  Could anyone testing FC6 tell us
if it's been implemented there?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences