High Pitched Sound on ASUS M2NPV-VM MCP51 Onboard Sound

Khoa Ton khoa at puresynergy.com
Mon Sep 4 10:38:39 UTC 2006

Khoa Ton wrote:
> I'm trying to get FC5 (kernel 2.6.17-1.2174 x86_64) running properly on
> an ASUS M2NPV-VM with Athlon X2 3800+ CPU.
>
> I find that the sound doesn't work well.  Though the sound comes
> through the speaker properly, there is always a very high pitched
> constant beep accompanying the sound.
>
> The sound card setup was all standard, done by FC5 installation.
> Has anyone experienced this problem and was able to eliminate it?
>
> Included is the /root/scsound.log file (I'm not sure if it's
> proper to include such a large file on this list... please let
> me know for the future).
>
> Thanks,
> Khoa Ton

I found the following fix for the high pitched ASUS M2NPV-VN sound
problem.  The fix is described in:
	http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t23938.html
	http://quaggaspace.ort/a8nvm/

Essentially, add the following line in /etc/modprobe.conf:
	options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack

Ubuntu distro has /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base that this options line
goes into, but I couldn't find the file in FC5 so I stuck it in
/etc/modprobe.conf.  If anyone knows of a better place to put this fix
please let me know.

Khoa Ton