Spam on the Rise. Any new tips?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 19:45:17 UTC 2006

Thom Paine wrote:
> I read about turning on a two minute wait time on your mail server and
> was wondering if that helps.

Note that "greylisting" *only* helps if you control the MX servers for
your domain. (MX servers are the ones published in DNS for your
domain -- when e-mail gets sent to your domain, it will go from the
sender's mail servers directly to these servers.)

If you're using something like gmail, or if the mail goes to an ISP mail
server and then is forwarded to you, or you use something like
fetchmail, then greylisting won't help you in the slightest. All it will
do is check that your ISP's mail server is well-behaved, or that
fetchmail is well-behaved.

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | And the cuckoo isn't cooing,
aprilcottage.co.uk | But he's cucking and he's ooing,