Linux Security

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 6 10:37:55 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy:
>> This may be, as you suggest, because hackers target Windows systems.
>> But that doesn't alter the fact that Linux systems are much safer
>> in the real world.

Tod Merley:
> Is that really true??  How do we know?? "Bot" makers love this
> attitude!  It keeps them alive!!!

Please do remember the separation between OS and applications.  I've
seen Windows, with no extra applications installed, get stuffed up
merely by being on a network.  The usual example for a Linux hack is
through a server application (e.g. a webserver), where the hack is the
server (which is applicable whether the server runs on Linux or
Windows).

I read messages from the public lists.