help interpreting dmesg output

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:48:13 UTC 2006

On 05/09/06, James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk> wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
> > The dmesg output is below.  What I'd like to know is whether this
> > looks like a hardware problem, a filesystem problem or simply a
> > bug somewhere.  Thanks for your time.
> >

> Well, that's a kernel error. But:
> > ipv6 lp floppy ehci_hcd ohci_hcd nvidia(U) uhci_hcd snd_ice1724
> you've got an Nvidia kernel module loaded. So the Fedora kernel
> maintainers can't investigate.

I know, unfortunately I haven't seen this problem before, so rebooting
with nv instead wasn't an option.

> My advice would be to run a memtest86 for a while to ensure that it's
> not memory, do a fsck on your partitions (from the rescue CD) to ensure
> you don't have any problems (although that's unlikely), and then report
> it to Nvidia.

memtest is now underway. As an added twist the file is on
a FAT32 partition.  It can still be checked of course.

> If this repeats, try reverting to the X.org nv driver. (You'll have to
> make sure that the Nvidia kernel module is never loaded: if it once gets
> loaded, the only way to really clear things is to reboot).

Sure, if I find it's repeatable, with nvidia or nv, I'll post to NVidia or
here as applicable.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
imalone