Triple boot:XP,ubuntu&FC5 grub failed

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 23:26:39 UTC 2006

Tod Merley wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Tod Merley wrote:
>> > Hi Gayal Rupasinghe and Jim Cornette!
>> >
>> > Gayle, Jim has it pretty much right I think.
>> >
>> > The chainload of Ubuntu (sort of a "stop looking here and start fresh
>> > right there!) should see a Fresh MBR (this is were I have a bit of a
>> > question since I can only see an MBR as being generated for the first
>> > sector of the disk) immediately followed (and referenced in the MBR)
>> > by a file within your current /boot/grub called "reiserfs_stage1_5".
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Erm...
>>
>> There is exactly one (1) MBR per physical fixed disc. Each non-extended
>> partition has a BR on it (sometimes called the geometry). GRUB
>> can run either from the MBR or from a BR. Extended partitions are
>> another story altogether.
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>> This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>> You have found the bank of Larn.
>> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
>> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi Mike McCarty!
>
> So when you use a GRUB prompt or grub-install you can form a Boot
> Record on any of the four Primary Partitions (the very first one being
> the Master Boot Record of course)?
>
> How do you make sure it is formed for the partition and knows were the
> proper stage 1.5, stage 2, and grub.conf or menu.lst are?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tod

Lokking through the replies, I did not see mention of what installs the
basics for the bootloader.

When you run grub-install /dev/hdx# from any of your installations,
information is installed for grub to finis booting. So when you install
grub into /dev/hdb2 for example, information for grub and the first
stage is chainloaded. (given over control to the particular OSes version
of grub.) From there, it loads the consecutive stages in a similar way
that installing grub into the MBR does. If grub is not installed into
the MBR, the partition where you installed grub into must be marked as
active. BIOS will take it from there to start grub from a partition
where it is installed, consecutively going through the various stages
grub goes through in order to load the OS.

Jim

--
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.
		-- Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"