How to record traffic between Evolution and POP Server

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 02:43:57 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
> I'm having weird problems between my Evolution email client and my ISP's
> POP server.  Evolution says it can't receive a particular message; the
> problem is:
>         Cannot get message ALwwvs4AAB//RP55HQdLMjcw/zI: Input/output
>         error
> always with the same message ID.  The ISP (ATT) says there's nothing in
> my inbox on the POP server.  I'd like to get some more info on what's
> going on.
>
> How can I get Evolution to record its interactions with the POP server.
> Is there some environment variable or invocation option that will get
> Evolution to do this?
>
> Thanks - jon
>

> --

Hi Jon!

Others have mentioned tcpdump and ethereal.  Good stuff.

You can train tcpdump to "start the recorder" so to speak when a
certian type of packet is seen.  I would start with a few minutes of
"all" and see how much I really need to be specific (how much actual
traffic).  If you know which ports are in use it is very easy to
follow a conversation.

Good Hunting!

Tod