Intel Woodcrest Crash under heavy load with FC5 and MySql

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Sep 7 04:37:08 UTC 2006

Albert Graham wrote:
> Hello all (especially the very technical),
>
> The crashes ONLY happen if we enable all 4 Cores in the BIOS (Dual
> core = enabled)

This makes me wonder.  Are you enabling dual core from the mother
board?  This is not a common option.  What is common is enabling and
disabling HT on the mother board.  With HT enabled and 2 dual core CPUs
you should see 8 CPUs in Linux.  (I don't know if the 5160 is HT capable).

Some motherboards don't like Hyper Threading with multiple CPUs.

So my question is:  Is Hyper Threading turned off on the mother board?