hostname doesn't stick

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Sep 7 06:34:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 06:41 +0100, Thufir wrote:
> When installing FC5 I set the hostname to "arrakis.homelinux.com" when it
> should've been "arrakis.homelinux.org".
>
> running "system-config-network", and changing the hostname with the GUI,
> then running "service network restart", or even rebooting, fails to effect
> the result of "hostname".
>
> [thufir at arrakis ~]$
> [thufir at arrakis ~]$ hostname
> arrakis.homelinux.com
> [thufir at arrakis ~]$
> [thufir at arrakis ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       arrakis.homelinux.org   arrakis localhost.localdomain   localhost

Hi Thufir,

Did you check your network configuration inside /etc/sysconfig/network ?
There is a HOSTNAME parameter inside that needs to be changed.

As for your changes in /etc/hosts, what I like to do is to leave my
loopback address (i.e. 127.0.0.1) as the default (i.e. localhost,
localhost.localdomain) and assign the network IP address to the hostname
that is defined inside /etc/sysconfig/network.

In my mind, I make a distinction between 'localhost' and the hostname as
the name I call myself and the name I want others to call me,
respectively.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur