Linux Security

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 06:51:24 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 02:39, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 19:49 -0500, Michael Yep wrote:
> > Users should run as restricted users
>
> When I was running Window NT, I did that, and it
> worked great, but when I "upgraded" to XP I found
> it was totally impossible to do anything and eventually
> gave up trying and just made my "normal" user
> an administrator.

Agreed - W2K allowed other, more configurable statuses with limited rights.

> A lot like trying to do anything useful
> with selinux cranked all the way up :-).

I advised my family to buy XP Pro rather than Home, thinking this would make
the difference, but it doesn't.  There's still only User, totally
locked-down, and Administrator, totally open.

I've been told that it's possible to force XP to allow limited rights as in
W2K, but no-one has told me how to do it, and I haven't discovered it.

Anne