FC5 - ssh freezes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 7 11:11:41 UTC 2006

Michelle Gates wrote:
> All,
>
> Recently installed FC5 on a new HP server... installed it into our colo site
> and am seeing some strange behaviour. When I ssh into the box, the command
> line freezes if I request too much info. Something as simple as 'ifconfig'
> or even 'ls' will cause my session to freeze after about 3 lines of text.
>
> Has anyone encountered this before? Could it be some strange hardware
> problem?
>
> Any help appreciated as my boss has put a ridiculous time-line on this
> project!

I used to see a problem like this when ssh-ing into my home machine from
work. The problem went away when I used shorewall's "CLAMPMSS" setting
on my home machine's firewall (i.e. it would appear that there was
something blocking path MTU discovery).

I'm not sure how you set up MSS clamping if you're not using shorewall,
but perhaps someone else might have a suggestion for that.

Paul.