Spam on the Rise. Any new tips?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 7 13:11:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 17:27 -0700, jdow wrote:
> If you are running an ISP you MUST make compromises between users who
> can't make the 1950's toaster power cord work on their new computer
> when they threw the new computer's power cord away with the packing
> materials and Bayes accuracy.

If you are any sort of mail service provider (i.e. you have "clients",
not just five other members of your family), you can play the honeypot
game.  Set up a couple of accounts that are bound to get spam from
dictionary attacks, or even deliberately make the address publicly
listed somewhere, and score anything received by them as being 100%
spam.  Any other identical mail received on your system will also be
100% spam, with no margin of error.  You can delete it with impunity,
never caring that you might have deleted a non-spam.

The only difficult part is working how you keep that data (what
identifies the spam).  It can rack up quite quickly, so you might want
to consider this a short-lived thing (dispose of the information
rapidly).

I read messages from the public lists.