Linux Security

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 7 19:08:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 21:39 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 19:49 -0500, Michael Yep wrote:
> > Users should run as restricted users
>
> When I was running Window NT, I did that, and it
> worked great, but when I "upgraded" to XP I found
> it was totally impossible to do anything and eventually
> gave up trying and just made my "normal" user
> an administrator.
>
> A lot like trying to do anything useful
> with selinux cranked all the way up :-).

That is not really true we have over 800 Win XP machines on our campus
where users can only run as non-administrators (not counting the 2000
student computers)

The only problem is that some software providers like Intuit will only
allow there programs be run as a privileged user.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>