printer alignment?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 7 22:32:23 UTC 2006

On the linuxprinting.com web site I found the align.ps
file and a perl script "alignmargins" for tweaking
the ghostscript hardware parameters to match the
printer exactly (handy for printing forms and such
since you can just measure the form and get the
text to come out there if the printer driver is properly
tweaked).

My question is this: The alignmargins perl script
modifies the .ppd file - is that a low enough level
place to put the settings that all printouts
will get the margin adjustments? I know things
like gimp has a separate printing system, does
it still use the settings from the .ppd file?

Is there some better even lower level place to
make sure any output destined for the printer
gets the tweaked hardware settings? (The
align.ps file mentions a gs_init.ps file).