linux BIOS

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 9 03:20:41 UTC 2006

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:49:43 +0100,
>   Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>> Better solution for fast boot, try hibernate.  On current development
>> kernels, Hibernate is working on this laptop for the first time and it
>> is a very nice improvement.
>
> There are other reasons one might want to use Linuxbios. There can be trust
> issues about just what the bios does. I would feel safer having one with
> open code rather that I can rebuild if I want to. Eventually there will be
> issues with NICs not being trustworthy, but we have a few years before they
> are smart enough to be a threat.
>
> For myself, linuxbios compatibility will be a requirement for future
> motherboards that I purchase.

I was reading a few sites regarding Linux BIOS. There was mention of the
SIS630 chipset being supported for the BIOS. This site in particular.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4888

Excerpt from article:
Various strategies have been developed to address these systems limited
by the amount of available ROM. Some of these strategies include Tiara,
which appears to be a complete firmware and boot loader for the SiS630
chipset; Etherboot, which has been ported to work under LinuxBIOS;
RedBoot, which runs under LinuxBIOS but is not yet useable; and some
hacks on LinuxBIOS itself.

I have an SBC of the type below that has the SIS630 chipset. Would this
board type be a good candidate to try a Linux BIOS on?

http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/pcisa-3716e2v.htm

Jim