[FC5] Unable to blank CD-RW

Antonio Montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 05:17:41 UTC 2006

2006/9/9, Antonio Montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:

> > While it may be less than clear that a disk MUST be unmounted to write
> > to it (except with UDF on RW disks), that is a necessity for both
> > burning a CDR and formatting a CDRW.  K3b does not do that for you and I
> > have at times overlooked the fact that disks automount when trying to
> > copy disks and when formatting the CDRW (even though I have years of
> > experience and am thus not a newbie)
> >
> > I agree that it may be useful to have that option in k3b and you can
> > easily submit a feature request to the authors.

> > > ROFL.  Yes, you shouldn't have to read a manual for what you're doing.
> > > However, it's not working for you, hence the suggestions.  My linux
> > > knowledge isn't deep, and might even be wrong, but it's free ;)
> > >

> > > -Thufir
> > >

> > --
> >

> Jeff,
>
> I have clear that a disk MUST be unmounted, but I have also clear that
> a standard user SHOULD not bother with line commands as there is no
> option to unmount  CDRW from menus.
> And the problem is also with nautilus burner, so it is not a problem
> with k3b but how the system mounts/umounts CDRW.
> But I understand that I am the only one to experience this problem
> (that I had not before latest updates, I am sure as I blanked/burnt my
> FC5 on CDRW!!!!)...
>
> My other two cents
>
> Tnx
>
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

and also gnomebaker doesn't blank my CD-RW....

this is the output...:

cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
      have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
      cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
      not be bothered with problems in this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

Cheers
--
Antonio Montagnani