A backupp to install Fedora Core 5 again

Heikki Pesonen fossiili at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 10:00:39 UTC 2006

I have 3 times installed Fedora Core  (3, 4 and 5) to my computer.  Never
has it gone in the way I hoped. Probably I have difficulties with the fine
LVM-system. I have read a lot of it and now I suppose I understand it. Last
time Fedora Core took all of my Linux-hard disk (160 Gb). Now I wanted to
start the fourth attempt, to give Fedora only let's say 40 Gb. Because I am
relatively satisfied to my recent installation, I wanted to make a complete
backup of my recent installation to DVD's and then  after reinstalling
Fedora restore it.

I know the command tar and there is also in Fedora installation File Roller
2.14.0, an archieve manager.  I looked at Bill McCartys book "Learning Red
Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora" (2005), but did not find advice about
reasonable backup strategy in my case. Could someone kindly tell me what
folders I should include in the tar-file and how to restore them in a
relatively simple way.