Watching CNN video [FC5]???

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Sep 9 20:34:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:32:20PM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat September 9 2006 8:20 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I've theorized about different packaging of
> > mplayer/mplayerplug-in being the culprit, and have tried both
> > the Livna, the ones from the mplayerplug-in website, and one's
> > from Blag.
>
> Ironically, I footnote the point made above, by an experience I
> had  just after sending that post. I tried a CNN video at that
> moment, and it completely stalled after opening the player
> window; all the flash stuff appeared, the messages about
> accessing the file appeared, it appeared to connect and the play
> window turned black as if it was going to play - then,
> nothing... When I tried to close the window, Firefox completely
> closed down. I checked my updates moments later after repeating
> this behavior a second time. I had mplayer locked (I use Smart
> which allows you to lock packages from being updated), but there
> was a Livna package available. I unlocked mplayer and installed
> the latest Livna package. After a reboot for other reasons, the
> same CNN file played almost immediately.

Not running FC5 (Centos 4.4), but sometimes have trouble with CNN
videos too. Occasionally the window opens but its contents are all
jumbled and the video won't play. When that happens I do EDIT |
PREFERENCES | PRIVACY | CACHE | CLEAR CACHE NOW and the problem
goes away. Though I've also seen the problem described above where
the mplayer plugin starts up then stops. clicking the pause or play
buttons doesn't do anything. Sometimes this happens on one video but
not another. I've seen times where I could come back later and play
the video that wouldn't play earlier.

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996