FC5: more trouble building nvidia-kmod from livna

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Sep 12 01:54:05 UTC 2006

Kam Leo writes:
: On 9/11/06, Dean S. Messing <deanm at sharplabs.com> wrote:
: >
<snip>
: > Lonni Friedman writes:
: > : The nvidia X driver will not work with the FC5 '2054' kernel, as that
: > : kernel bans non-GPL'd symbols.
<snip>
: >
: > At all events, thanks, Lonni, for preventing another few hours wasted
: > in trying to track this one down.
: >
: > Questions:
<snip>
: >
: > 2) Is there a work-around for this kernel?  Was nobody who ran the
: >    stock FC5 kernel able to run the nvidia driver until a later kernel
: >    came out?
: >
: > I need to remain on this kernel for a bit until I can carefully test
: > its suspend/resume behaviour.  I also need the nvidia driver
: > to clean up several image processing issues I'm having (crucial to my
: > work) due to running the stock nv driver.
: >
:
: Why? I was under the impression that the current kernel had fixes for
: suspend/resume issues present in older versions.
:

Because it was suggested to me that I first keep the stock kernel and
try suspend/resume with it because, in his case, things stopped
working under the 2.6.17 kernel.  suspend/resume seems to still be
very brittle, working sometimes on some laptops with some kernels, and
with other laptops using other kernels---and with my laptop no known
kernel (though I have not tested with any kernel after 2.6.12 yet).

My laptop, by the bye, is a Dell Percision M70, an otherwise wonderful
machine that is completely useless to me because of inability
to suspend/resume.  I'm hoping fedora will solve that problem but
must find time to test it carefully.

Dean