FC5 freezes: due to bad Dell GX270 motherboard

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 12 22:58:36 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Where to check:  Look on the motherboard for small black cylinders
>> with silver tops.  The cylindrical capacitors are about 1/4 of an inch
>> in diameter and one half on an inch high.  The silver tops have an X
>> on edged them.  Those silver tops are supposed to be flat or slightly
>> sunken in, not convex (swolen).  They are NOT supposed to look like
>> cupcakes baking in the oven, in other words.
>>
> For future reference, that is a + and not an X. If you look
> carefully, you will notice one of the leads is below the +. Those
> are what are called electrolytic capacitors,and have to be hooked up
> correctly. If you mix the + and - leads, they tend to die rather
> quickly, and sometimes make a mess.
>
> Mikkel

Thanks Paul and Mikkel for the feedback. I am not experiencing any
current problems with the GX270. I'll open the chassis and check out the
Electrolytics in the area that you mentioned on the motherboard. The
"cupcakes" ought to be pretty puffy by now. I guess safety glasses would
be in order before opening up the chassis.

Jim

--
linux: the choice of a GNU generation
(ksh at cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)