dual boot with Fedora and NTFS on windows: is it safe ?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 13 10:13:11 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:13 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>That's a very reasonable attitude. What disturbs me about it is not
>>that Linux perhaps cannot do what I want so much as it is that everyone
>>at the time told me I was hallucinating, and that Linux had perfect
>>read access. But I tried multiple distros on an NTFS partition, and
>>all of them had problems reading that partition, which worked perfectly
>>with Windows NT. The file names which got screwed up were different
>>each time I tried the copy, even without changing the distro.
>

> Did you use any with the 'captive' driver approach?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_NTFS

Yes, I tried the "captive" driver approach, though not with
the system I needed to get the information from. That was a
real NT system, but NT had been purged from it.

I found that I had problems reading my XP disc using the "captive"
approach. I don't recall what they were. Perhaps install problems. It's
difficult to understand how the "captive" approach could fail,
unless it was due to install problems, because after all it's
MicroSoft's own code. But that was even before I tried to recover
the data on the other machine, and my memory of that is hazy
now. My memory of the failure using straight Linux mounts
without "captive" MicroSoft code is not hazy, since I really
wanted to get that data, and was not just fooling around
like I was with my own system earlier.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.